[pct-l] getting from reno airport to sierra city

fdumville at earthlink.net fdumville at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 20 20:27:16 CDT 2008

Susan,

The closest public transportation to Sierra City I found was Plumas
Transit, (www.plumastransit.com), which runs a bus from Reno stopping at
Portola twice a week. You would have a lengthy 3 leg hitch to get from
there to Sierra City. I didn't use the bus since I was heading out from
Sierra City and found a ride to Reno.
Have you thought of starting a little further south at Soda Springs?
Greyhound has service from Reno to Truckee. You could ask if they'll let
you off at the I-80 rest stop where the PCT crosses. If not there is a
local bus in Truckee (http://www.townoftruckee.com/shuttle.html) that would
get you to the west end of Donner Lake. The final hitch to the trail near
Soda Springs would be a lot shorter than the one to Sierra City. You could
then continue further south and get off the trail at Red's Meadow/Mammoth
which has bus connections to Reno.

Snap