[pct-l] Holcomb Creek crossing Detour

Shutterbug steiner shutterbugg313 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 18 21:19:29 CDT 2008

Since the trail is closed in that area and no one has officially designated the reroute you will get no clear answers..  As for water -- I'd not be concerned with H20 middle May.  We have had a nice winter and snow will still be melting, Holcomb creek will be roaring, and springs will be flowing.  I'd be more concerned with erosion and route finding.  I doubt whether the Trail Gorillas or the Forest Service will be about to get in to even evaluate the situation until later this spring.

  Sorry for the ambigquity - I live near there and the word presently is that things are still closed.

  Go to the source and Call
  Big Bear Ranger Station
41397 North Shore Drive, Highway 38
P.O. Box 290
Fawnskin, CA 92333
(909) 382-2790 (voice)
(909) 866-3233 (TTY)

Will M <jalan04 at gmail.com> wrote:
  Sorry, I'm a little confused. Do you have the mile markers for this
detour. My nearest calculation has a 20 mile section of trail being
rerouted to 30 miles for a net gain of 10 miles. I know I'm off but I'm not
sure where.

What's the water situation in that 30 mile stretch? I'm planning to do a
section at the beginning of May so I'm trying to figure out the logistics.

Thanks