[pct-l] Kickoff & Warner Springs Resort Dinner

Bill Batchelor billbatch at cox.net
Sun Mar 2 13:37:39 CST 2008

I can see Elevator's point.  I think they give special rates because they
know that the hiker is on a very tight budget, and is obviously not
generating income for some time to come.  They want to help them along the
way.   So, with that in mind a hiker helper does not equate.

On the other hand, Warner's discount motivation might also be that promoting
hiker friendly and discounts is excellent for business.  Since 80+% of
Warner's business is weekend based - especially before school is out - it
must be great to have rooms filled Sunday through Thursday as hikers arrive
any day.   If that is the motivation, then Switch may be okay.  Considering
he would not be there were it not for the hikers and he is staying on the
off-nights.

I will bet if he said, " I am a trail volunteer helping to get the hikers
around.  Would it be possible to get the hiker rate?"   I suspect they would
say yes.

How boring am I walking the middle road.

  _____