[pct-l] Yes, a Wilderness Permit Is Needed for Sonora to Echo

frank martin sriprank at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 30 16:02:09 CDT 2008

I've gone in at Sonora Pass on several occasions.  Each time I get a Permit for Emigrant Wilderness at Mi-Wuk Village as I drive up Hwy. 108 from Sonora.

I agree it is right on the Boundary but I have spoken to the rangers there and if you look closely at a map I think it just catches the tip of Emigrant.

You do need a permit for overnite use.  You only need one and that is for the originating trailhead.

Give the Ranger Station at Emigrant a call and they will tell you what you need to do.  You don't have to drive 100 miles out of your way to get a Permit.

alamedafrank