[pct-l] Bear canisters- and they cheat at card playing

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Sat Jun 28 23:38:05 CDT 2008

It all depends on the bear.

Eight years ago I had one walk up to the foot of my sleeping bag, only to run off when I turned on my light.

Two years ago in Lyell Canyon, I had a bear come into camp in the wee hours of the night and try to steal my pack which I had foolishly left standing against a tree beside my tent. I heard the noise and yelled. He would have made it too if, when he tried to run away with it, he hadn't hung a shoulder strap up on another small tree. He did manage to rip off and get away with the belt pouch in which I had VERY foolishly been carry my chewing gum supply. Being a good camper, I had dutifully put the gum in the bear can but somehow neglected to remember that odors linger (you can smell chewing gum in the racks in the store from 10 feet away).  Said bear also totally ignored an odor-proof sack of energy bars lying 20 feet from the bear canister.

The cost of my extreme foolishness? One missing belt pouch (deserved), plus the loss of its non-odiferous contents - my PCTA thru permit, a $65 compass, my journal, and my new Golden Eagle Passport. I hope the darn bear choked on the compass!

Score tied: Bears 1; Bob 1.......so far.

Wandering Bob