[pct-l] Digital Photo Management on the Trail

Kent Spring kjssail at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 28 21:05:29 CDT 2008

I originally thought that Claire's idea was a good one, but there are some real problems.  I stopped at the only drugstore in Big Bear City/Lake that had a digital (Kodak) machine.  It was going to require not one, but five CD's to burn the 1.3 gigs that my card held...  Then, to top it off - the machine would only transfer and burn the JPEG files, not the several short movies I had made.  I mailed the card home instead.  I think that carrying extra cards, and then mailing them home is the best option.  I also think that carrying 2 or 4 gig cards is important - they are cheap and they will perform for a long time.  I also think that people over estimate how many photos they take.  I have a very easy set up with my camera close at home, but rarely shot more than 30-40 photos per day.  It is easy to shoot 100 on the first day in new terrain, but when you go thru similar terrain 4 or 5 days later, you will probably not take so many shots....

Kent