[pct-l] bear canisters

Austin Williams longwalk2653 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 18:21:05 CDT 2008

My personal opinion is that bear canisters were created because many people
just couldn't figure out the intricacies of proper bear bagging.  Since the
problem was so rampant (and the effects so sad for both man and bear), laws
were passed to protect the unskilled public from itself.  Now, bear
canisters are for both the unskilled, and those skilled who can't afford a
ticket.  Hence, I'm going to REI right now to get my bear canister (which
I'll probably just use as a foot rest after bear bagging my food).  Does
anyone know, off the top of thier head, the sections where I will be
required by law to carry it (so I know which resupply box to put it in....
and where to bounce it ahead to).

I vote for a ticket only being given to a no-can-having hiker if said hiker
cannot demonstrate proper bearbagging technique within 5 minutes of being
asked.  That would be fun!

Just my two cents.