[pct-l] larger Bear Cannister length

taterno at cox.net taterno at cox.net
Thu Jun 26 21:57:06 CDT 2008

At this year's kick off, Sierrashade, of Stickpic fame, had a prototype pack he made that was basically the diameter of a large bear canister, though taller.  Clothes, sleeping bag, etc. fit on top of the canister.  The pack material was then cinched up to keep everything together.  If a larger canister were available, as Bear Vault seems to indicate, I am sure Sierrashade could adapt it to his pack.  I would put food and all the other stuff we hikers take into the canister, though on second thought, that would make my shirt smell like tuna fish, and therefore, I'd end up being bear bait.  Would have to use those odor-proof sacks for food.  I think the frame was made of carbon fiber and had a hands-free sun shade built onto the frame.  Very high tech.

Ron, I'll beta test it for you.

Tom KI6ASP
The Incredible Bulk

---- Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes <diane at santabarbarahikes.com> wrote:

=============

On Jun 26, 2008, at 4:53 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Hi, BearVault here.  Last year we asked the PCT community how large a
> canister they would desire.  Given the limited market which limits the
> variety of change we can afford, we were asking how long would you
> like a
> BearVault with the same diameter as our current two models.
> Changing the
> diameter is not an economic option.
>
> To my surprise, the consensus was 19" (a full 58% larger capacity
> than our
> current full size model).  Obviously this would pose carrying
> issues, but
> that was the desire; 19".
>
> Do you all still feel this is a good length, or would you like a
> smaller or
> longer length.
>
> Happy hiking, Jamie and Cindy
> BearVault

In my opinion, wider might be better than longer. I can only seem to
get it inside my pack in the upright position, not on its side.
There's not much room around it to put anything else, so as long as
it's creating unusable empty space it may as well put it to use
inside the can. I don't want to tie it to the outside because then my
food will bake in the sun and it might fall off the pack and over a
cliff or something.

I have a large sized bear can, but it's not one of yours. The worst
thing about it is the opening is smaller in diameter than the
container, making it very hard to put food in and get it out again.
Your container is better because the opening is about the same size
as the container.

Diane