[pct-l] Bear Cannisters

Travis Beals trbeals at berkeley.edu
Thu Jun 26 21:51:01 CDT 2008

> Enjoy them while they last.  I have it on solid authority that
> Sequoia & Kings Canyon will be removing all of the bear lockers
> within their wilderness areas starting next year.

Why would SEKI remove their bear lockers? That's just asking for
trouble; even with a full-size can, some hikers can't cover the longer
stretches of the PCT (e.g. Lone Pine to VVR) with only the volume of
food that fits in a bear can. Some may choose to resupply at the
really inconvenient exit points (i.e., Kearsage Pass/Independence),
but others will just break the rules. It's hard for me to fathom the
park actively making it harder for hikers to stay compliant.

While we're on the subject, it would be nice if they put a locker in
between Trail Pass and Rock Creek. Hikers coming back onto the trail
from Lone Pine/Horseshoe Meadows at Trail Pass have to do an 18 mile
day with full packs to get to the first locker.  That's not a big deal
for someone who's already done the southern part of the PCT, but it's
rough for section hikers who aren't yet acclimatized and trail-
hardened. That one extra locker would make compliance much easier.
Then again, I suppose it would be even easier if they paved it... and
had gun-toting dogs available as pack animals...