[pct-l] larger Bear Canister length

frankgilliland at comcast.net frankgilliland at comcast.net
Thu Jun 26 21:58:10 CDT 2008

Maybe if the shape was a little bit less round.  That way it would fit
inside a pack a little better.

I had to modify my Osprey pack to accommodate the Bear Vault.  I enlarged
the collar on top of the pack.  After that it fits nicely on top.  I only
had to add a small amount of extra fabric.

Dear Bear Vault:

Please send all of the pack makers a sample Bear Vault and specs for making
sure that the collar is large enough to hold the entire container with out
any modifications.  Most packs now have been modified to take a hydration
hose.  Maybe the next step is bear vault ready...

I used to be the type that slept with my food in my tent.  Now I see that
the bears are the ones who suffer from my old attitude.  I will now be
"packing" a bear vault and probably be sleeping a little bit better.

As a good friend, a hiker and sage of the trail once told me.  "It is not
about our comfort or rights, it is about not having a bear killed over our
actions.  Just carry the dam bear can."

StarMan