[pct-l] MP3 players and hiking

Travis Beals trbeals at berkeley.edu
Thu Jun 26 01:05:31 CDT 2008

If you're going into the Sierras, don't take any MP3 player that's got
a hard drive. Many hard drives are not designed to work at high
altitude (read/write heads are suspended above the platter by
aerodynamic effects that are sensitive to air density), and, while
they often do work anyway, there are also quite a few failure reports.
If you read the fine print for hard drive-based players, you'll often
see a maximum altitude specified. Max altitudes are also sometimes
specified for flash-based players, but you can safely ignore these, as
they're all solid state.

I'd recommend either an iPod Nano or Shuffle, as these are players
you'll still enjoy using after your trip. The Shuffle is cheaper and
lighter, but maxes out at 2 GB (roughly 500 songs). The iPod Nano
comes in 4GB and 8 GB versions, has a screen, and gets up to 24 hours
of play time on a charge.

As for charging, I have charged a Nano from a Solar Mio charger, but I
wouldn't recommend bothering with solar because of the weight and
hassle. Instead, make or buy a charger that will use regular AA or 9V
batteries to charge the iPod. This is particularly easy with the Nano,
as it has an internal power regulator that allows it to accept
anything from 5 to 30 volts (the Shuffle appears to only accept 5
volts). All you need to do is splice together (or buy) an appropriate
charger cable. This battery charger will weigh almost nothing, and
gives you the option of carrying spare batteries for longer stretches
or just relying on the iPod's internal battery for short stretches.

If you don't mind a little do-it-yourself, the lightest iPod option is
probably a Shuffle with a charger that takes three lithium AAA
batteries--this will give you just a touch over 5 volts when the AAAs
are fresh. You'd have to buy the iPod Shuffle itself ($69 for 2 GB
version), plus a spare Shuffle dock cable ($29) to turn into a battery
charger cable. The Shuffle will give 10 - 12 hours of play time on a
charge, and I'd bet you could get several charges out of a set of
lithium AAAs.

-Travis