[pct-l] Pct-l Digest, Vol 6, Issue 58

bighummel at aol.com bighummel at aol.com
Mon Jun 23 22:14:08 CDT 2008

Over the course of 3 decades since thru-hiking my mind has wrapped around and around the deep emotions, incredible friendships, the clear inner understanding and almost fanatical driving passions that were culled from this trek in my youth.? The years have passed, the leg muscles still stand out and get noticed and still retain some of the "cut" formed so long ago, the hair has turned from blonde to gray yet still covers my scalp, the back is still strong and straight, the eyes still clear and focused, the mind still sharp from the constant stimulation from family, work and the outdoors.? My skin shows the mark of years in the sun and yet still retains the life long ability to repair itself, still almost magical to me.? My knees are not what they once were but can handle mile after mile of hard concrete walking going uphill, but complain on the downhill if without trekking poles (I simply cannot bring myself to?carry trekking poles in downtown LA).?

I value more than ever the memories and friendships from then and now, from the greater long distance hiking community.? We share a bond that goes so much deeper than so many of the hollow ones in our society right now.? Our quest for the freedom found in the outdoors, the wilderness, is one that is so pure, so right, so fundamental.?

I may be able to thru-hike again, I may not.? Regardless, I revel in the knowledge that I once walked, and walked and walked, and in doing so found an entirely new world.?

Greg "Strider" Hummel