[pct-l] Hello from the Sierra, and how to get back to it 6/27 from LAX

mark v allemande6 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 21 19:22:08 CDT 2008

Hi PCT-L.  My journal will be getting some much  needed updating the next few days, because on business i'm off the trail for a week.  We made it as far as Red's Meadow // Mammoth Lakes, and it was a challenging adventure.  The rivers were high enough to cause us to each fall in once...the snow covered the trail often enough to keep the maps out from time to time...the general going hard enough to lower my mileage from 25 a day in the Southern Sierra down to about 17 a day in the High Sierra.  I was glad to have left my ice axe behind at Independence.  There are enough steps on the steep bits (mostly Mather and Glen Passes) to make ice axe unnecessary.  I was also glad to have bought new wool socks, since the constant streams and snow on/around the trail meant wet feet much  of the time.  I'll post more on my journal soon.  Oh, and the Kearsarge exit to Independence was fantastic.  Really maybe the best part of the whole trip for me.

I'll be going back to the trail on Friday 6/27, and before i figure out bus tickets or car rentals etc, i thought i should ask if anyone in the L.A. area is planning on heading to the Eastern Sierra // 395 // Mammoth Lakes on that day.  I'd gladly pay all gas.  My flight gets into LAX at about 10am, and i'll be eager to get back to the hike faster than public transport or hitching will probably allow.  Thanks!!!

Cuddles

www.trailjournals.com/markvpct08