[pct-l] Food

NC Murtaugh hikingis4me2 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 20 15:38:42 CDT 2008

Here's what I eat when I hike - what I eat at home.  I dehydrate all of my food in advance and then portion out what I plan to eat for each section.  On the bag, I write 2 TBS = 1 serving, or something like that, so that I don't go hog wild and eat 3 days worth of food in one setting.

When I get to town, I eat the steak, waffles, ice cream, etc.

I think my body appreciates the fact that I'm eating sensibly, and it doesn't have to adjust for foods that I wouldn't eat at home, such as pop tarts, noodle and rice mixes, and anything ending in helper.  I like to have a lot of variety, but found when I thru-hiked the CT, that dehydrated spaghetti sauce and fix almost any meal.

Some Costcos sell dehydrated hashbrowns, sun-dried tomatoes in a bag, already cooked bacon in a bag, and of course, the dehydrated fruits.  I dehydrate my own protein, and bring oatmeal.

I separate my food into what it is - fruits, carbs, protein, etc, rather than meal-specific (breakfast, lunch).  Also I eat Nature Valley bars for snacks, as well as shelled nuts.

I found that hot chocolate (I buy in bulk and then package in a zip-type bag) at the end of the day (sort of like a cocktail) really relaxes me up.  Using a small amount of Crystal Light will help with the flavor of your water, which sometimes needs help.

If I were going to change my diet on the trail, I'd make the necessary changes at home weeks in advance.

Don't forget to take your vitamins each day.

Lost and Found