[pct-l] JMT in August

Carl Siechert carlito at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 00:42:37 CDT 2008

That's not exactly true. There is a
quota<http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/quotas.shtml>of 40
people per day for the Cottonwood Pass trailhead and 60 per day for
the Cottonwood Lakes trailhead, which also covers Army/New Army Pass. Inyo
NF maintains a list of
dates<http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/otheravail.shtml>on
which the quota for advance reservations is filled, and as of today,
about a fourth of August is full. Note, however, that a number of quota
spots are held back for walk-in/late reservations; these become available at
11 am for the following day.

Trail Pass and Mulkey Pass (also out of Horseshoe Meadow) have no quota, so
they become a good fallback position, even for northbound hikes. (IIRC,
hiking to Cottonwood Pass via Trail Pass adds only about 5 miles compared to
the direct, quota-restricted route.)