[pct-l] Non free standing tents

Jim McCrain jim at mccrain.net
Thu Jun 19 23:36:57 CDT 2008

I've got to disagree with "Pink Gumby" on part of his advice.  PLEASE do not dig a trench around your tent.  This completely violates the "Leave No Trace" ethic.  If you choose your tent/sleeping site with care, paying attention to the surroundings and weather, you shouldn't need to dig a trench.  Remember to camp on durable surfaces, stay out of low-lying areas or troughs, keep away from obvious "run off" gullies, and keep your distance from streams.  (All of these help keep mosquitos at bay, too!)  Ther is nothing more disheartening that finding a pristine looking camp site, only to stumble across a ditch or trench in the ground.  You may fill it in when you get ready to leave in the morning, but you can't erase it!

Otherwise, Pink Gumby's advice was spot on!

Cheers!

Jim