[pct-l] Non free standing tents

Bill BillBatch at cox.net
Wed Jun 18 19:21:54 CDT 2008

Hey Darren,

My opinion:  Go with the Lunar.   The old mind-set will dissipate quickly.

Staking out:  Yes, you may find times when the stakes won't go in or won't
stay in.   Those times will be rare.  If they won't go in, you can tie that
spot to a bush, tree, or other immovable object.   You can wrap a length of
cord from that corner around an appropriately shaped rock.  Or, wrap it
around a stick and then use a rock to rest on the cord between the stick and
tent- the stick acts like a chock.  Bring along six feet of hyper light high
strength cord.  All sorts of options there.    If the stakes won't stay in,
you can do similar things like tie a length of cord to a stick and bury the
stick sideways.  I have had great success with that in sandy desert
conditions.  Again, 90% of the time you will be able to stake it just fine.

Storms:  You will not likely need to concern many nights of this either.  On
those nights, use common sense.  Hike high, camp low.  Consider how water
will move and don't pitch in a bowl on the ground.  Try to pitch on duff.
If options are not good or it rains like a mofo - you may need to dig a
small trench to direct water.   Most important in foul weather will be to
pitch it strong.   Staked and guyed and secured, these tents will hold up
better than any free-standing tent.   And as above, most of the time you
will not need to even worry about it.   And when you do, it will be wind far
more often than rain or snow.   On those occasions when water falls from the
sky - you will handle it just fine.

I hope that helps.  Walk light and enjoy.

Pink Gumby