[pct-l] Non free standing tents

Darren talhog at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 18 19:02:57 CDT 2008

Hi all,
I am close to making a decision on what tent to buy for my PCT thru-hike; its narrowed down to four.
I am leaning to the Lunar Solo but I have no experience with non freestanding
tents so I am wondering... Have you ever been in a situation on the PCT where
it wasnt possible to stake down a tent - maybe in the high Sierra where it was all rocks? Or is this easily avoided with some forethought as to when/where to stop to camp?
If you want more detail on my thought processes: weight is very important to me
but I am willing to carry a bit more to feel safer and more prepared. This being my first thru-hike the confidence/experience factor has to be weighed against the weight factor (so to speak).
Lunar Solo - lightest option but I am unsure about the non-freestanding aspect and
my old skool mind isn't totally confident in its ability to handle a storm and keep me dry. Other possible drawbacks - looks like bugs can get in.
The other three options all are about one pound more, freestanding and double walled and I am kinda diggin the Fast Fly set up options but the drawbacks are (beside one pound more)
BigAgnes Seedhouse SL1 - vestible looks too small to cover a pack.
Marmot Eos1P - low and narrow headroom
MSR Hubba HP - Its a cave and $100 more. best headroom and best vestible though
I am thinking either Lunar or Seedhouse.
Thanks for your input!
DB