[pct-l] SOBO Border Crossing

Austin Williams longwalk2653 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 22:55:17 CDT 2008

I've read (in Beyond Backpacking) that crossing the border from Canada into
the U.S. is illegal  (though you can legally do it the other direction so
long as you have prior permission).  Granted, there will be no one there to
catch you... so I'm considering doing it anyway (as crossing a border into
my own country hurts no one).  My question is... how does crossing
*into*Canada work (at the border checkpoint)?...  do I need a
passport?  Do I
interact with the Canadian Border Patrol, or the U.S. Border patrol?  (or
Both?) Can I just tell them that I'm hiking the PCT, or do I need to
fabricate some story about visiting my Aunt May in Manning Park?

-Austin