[pct-l] Winter vs. Spring-start Thru-hike

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.com
Fri Jun 6 13:57:32 CDT 2008

Gracie, you certainly opened a can of worms with this one!

The idea is not a new one. Even the most experienced, well-equipped,
professional teams can flounder trying this.

So much depends on the season, the preparation, the resourcefulness (plan B,
plan C?), the drive, etc. to get through it. Even your ability to assess the
day's risks before you start in the morning is critical.

Like Eric just said, spring snow conditions are dreamy and fun compared to
what winter can dump on you. Most all of our "winter" trips through Mountain
Education are conducted on the safer, harder, compacted snow of spring. The
avalanche risk is still present in the spring, just not every day.

Our ski trips of the outrageous John Muir Trail are spring only and are the
most awesome things we do. The trail under snow, though daunting and
forbidden to the summer hiker seeking warm, dry trail, is the most beautiful
imaginable, even when the weather is nasty (good for dramatic photos!). If
you want to see these conditions, just start your thru hike early, say in
March as I did. Look at the photos of those who have gone through early this
season to see what the conditions looked like and you will see it looks like
"winter."

Mtnned

For Information on Programs, previous Trips, and Photo Gallery,

Please visit: www.mountaineducation.com