[pct-l] Winter Thru-hike

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.com
Fri Jun 6 13:33:32 CDT 2008

Well, we can't pass this one up, it's our favorite thing to do!!!

Postholer, AsABat, Steel-Eye, and Eric are all right on. I have skied (both
with a pack and a sled), snowshoed, and glissaded the JMT in the winter and
the spring (mostly) and must say that unless you seek to write a Jack London
type story like "To Build A Fire," or have massive planning and support, I
wouldn't do it in the dead of winter.Beware of the armchair theories! Unless
you have specifically trained for this and you, both know when to get out or
stay put for a week and wait for the avalanches to settle down and are very
blessed by God's protection in such an endeavor, it can easily kill you.

That said...on to planning and support:
It could be done (as Bartholomew did) and it would be a kick in the ass, but
it would require the following:
    - long skis and sleds
        (you don't lift your feet in powder that deep with snowshoes on. It
is far                 easier to slide your feet and attempt to keep your
tips up).
        (don't expect to be able to "downhill ski" the descents with your
gear. The             pros don't ever do this unless they have first blasted
the slope for                     avalanches and have immediate rescue at
the ready. One mistake this             remote = death. This is one trip
idea not to romanticize, gloss over, use             to seek celebrity
status, or do for the fun of it. It will be cold, wet, long,
hard, full of typical winter dangers, you will get buried a lot, you will
have many scary, risky moments, your skis may break at least once,
you will have much heavier gear and more of it, you will experience
wonderful, jubilant days with awesome views (that could have been
had during a safer, spring season), you will fall--a lot, and so on).
    - numerous resupplies, self-placed in buckets in trees or carried/flown
in by             others. (Lots of prep. but an easier aspect of the
adventure).
    - major, durable gear--your life will depend on its predictable
performance.
            Crampons and axe are obvious; you will find wind-blown slopes
that are all ice, yet, on the other side of the hill will be 6-10 feet deep
powder!
    - taking a year off. Your daily slog will reduce your mileage to 5-10
miles at             best in the dead-of-winter months. You'll really be
looking forward to             the "hard" spring snow and the mud that
follows.
    - reliable communications. You'll be placing yourself and rescue teams
at risk             with this idea (right, L-Rod?), so don't leave home
without it.
    - teamwork. This is not something you do alone. You'll need a
trail-breaker             and an off-trail support crew that is ready and
willing to come to your             aid as little problems, like a
delaminating boot sole that won't stay in its             binding, become a
replacement issue (if the glue you brought won't                 hold) and
going out for the repair is too strenuous. You must practice
with these people in the winter months preceding the trip and find you
work well together, and equally motivated, physically very strong and
able, and have lots of prior experience, individually. A risk by one is a
danger to all.
These are just a few of the issues that come off the top of my head right
now. I am not saying it can't be done, but that the danger and failure rate
are high Given the "right" team, the right gear, a predictable winter,
tremendous skill, wisdom, planning, and support, like I said, it could be a
gas.

Tread carefully,

Mtnned

For Information on Programs, previous Trips, and Photo Gallery,

Please visit: www.mountaineducation.com