[pct-l] Winter Thru-hike

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Fri Jun 6 11:34:29 CDT 2008

Good morning, Gracie,

I certainly agree with Postholer's comments, and would expand upon one
aspect:  Early to mid-season snow in the western mountains is vastly
different from what you see reported by typical PCT hikers in the Sierras or
North Cascades.  Early snow is deep and loose, not yet having had time to
coalesce into the mostly firm snowpack upon which it is usually possible to
walk.

Often being anxious to start my winter hiking I set out in the early season
with my snowshoes, and soon find out - again - why early snow is such a
delight to the alpine skiers.  It is fun for those downhill slat-riders
because it is nice soft stuff to ski through -- not on.  Using snowshoes
under those conditions is considerably less fun.  My regular 30" trekking
snowshoes are hopeless.  I have an old pair of wide, 48" snowshoes also, and
I have literally been above my waist in powder while wearing them.  I have
said trying to walk under those conditions is like trying to wade a river
with a blanket tied to each foot.

I strongly recommend you gain lots of experience hiking in deep, loose snow
before you even consider such a trek.  Doing so would also give you a chance
to polish your route-finding skills when encounter heavy snowfall, strong
winds, and near zero visibility for days on end.

Good luck,

Steel-Eye