[pct-l] Winter Thru-hike

Gracie Sorbello onewheelforlife at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 10:02:20 CDT 2008

Hi,
I have been thinking about doing a thru-hike for several years, and in all
my pondering began to wonder what it would be like to thru-hike the PCT in
the winter.  I'm sure someone out there has at some point, but does anyone
have info on such a trip?  This is something I'm very interested in doing,
and an informative resource would be really helpful.

Further questions I would have include:
- will any sections become simply impassable during the winter?
- do any trail guidebooks include GPS coordinates for the entire PCT?
- are there many sections of the trail that are particularly prone to
avalanches?
- would MSR Denali Ascent snowshoes (with flotation tails) be enough for
both flotation on snow and traction on ice?  or would I need crampons as
well?

Thanks!
Gracie