[pct-l] MSR Pocket Rocket question

Sean Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Mon Jun 2 15:15:11 CDT 2008

Scott,
Doing a google search on Pocket Rocket repair, I found most problems are caused by bad threads no longer allowing the canister to properly seat and thus not getting enough/any gas to the stove.

I found the following post on the forum at Backpackinglight.com:

-Sean

Yes, this is a known problem, but it is not widely known. It applies to ALL screw-thread stoves. The problem is as follows.

The thread on the canister is roll-formed in very thin metal. It is NOT a complete thread by any means. (Pretty crude in some ways, actually.) This means that a high load is placed on a small part of the thread (the tip of the thread) on the stove. Since the thread on the canister is steel and the thread on the stove is brass (any stove), it is the brass which wears away. Eventually the thread stops holding and you can't get gas out of the canister.

Let me make several points here.

1) This problem applies to ALL screw-thread canisters and ALL screw-thread stoves.

2) You can minimise the problem by keeping the thread very clean and by not screwing the stove down hard. Screw it down lightly and see if the stove runs. If so, that is enough pressure. If not, do the thread up a little bit more. I think this may be where you are having a problem: you are using too much force every time. Be more gentle.

3) ALL screw-thread canisters have the same thread. ALL screw-thread canisters will mate with ALL screw-thread stoves - despite the manufacturer warnings you get with some stoves to 'only use OUR brand of canister or terrible things will happen'. This cross-compatibility is required by law.

4) Despite point 3), you may find slight differences between staoves and canisters which mean the different combinations have to be tightened different amounts. Yes, this happens. But they will inter-operate.

> With the same problem happening twice on two different MSR pocket rocket stoves I do not believe any more that it was a handling problem or just bad luck. I think that MSR is just delivering bad quality. I was never that disappointed with a piece of equipment before.
No, you are blaming MSR wrongly here. I agree that the pot supports on the Pocket Rocket are far too weak, but the thread is the same as every other stove. I think you have screwed the stove up too tight every time, and increased the wear on the threads.