[pct-l] Washington Snow

Steve Scoles eagleye at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 17:54:37 CDT 2008

I am heading NOBO from Cascade Locks on Sunday, July 27.  I called the
rangers in Trout Lake and Cowlitz (both section H) yesterday.  They
indicated that there is still a lot of snow above 4500', especially in shade
and north sides.  Routefinding will be a challenge in places in this
section.  The ranger told me one hiker carried an ice axe going through Goat
Rocks, but turned back because the snow was steep and icy.  That hiker
wished he had crampons too.  I plan to bring both ice axe and crampons for
the Goat Rocks part, but that is probably the only place I would need them
in the state.  Hope to get to Canada in early Sept.
Happy Trails,
Coyote Steve
Whidbey Island, WA