[pct-l] Dehydrators

Jim & Janet Ake jake2003at at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 18 10:21:39 CDT 2008

Hi Kathi,

I have an American Harvester Gardenmaster and it has worked great for me.
I have 10 trays, but it will hold up to 30.  Also purchased some of the
small mesh screens to keep smaller items from falling through and some of
the solid plastic sheets for drying liquid items.  Here are some of the
things we have had good luck with:

fruit leather/roll ups- I puree fresh berries or fruit with a little
applesauce and sugar and dry on the solid sheets.  Fantastic snack, tastes
like fresh fruit.

Spaghetti sauce - dry on the solid sheets, use cheap bottled brand with no
lumps

ground beef, roast beef, tuna, shrimp, and CANNED chicken, great weight
savings over carrying the foil packets

Things that didn't work too well:  most vegetables (just never got tender
enough) I was using frozen veggies right out of the bag, maybe if they had
been cooked first might have worked.

boiled chicken breasts and turkey,  I boiled them until they were falling
apart, then diced and dried, but they never got very tender when we tried
to redehydrate them.

We sealed most of our food in the vaccuum packs just to be on the safe
side.  Some other things you might think about, buying freeze-dried meats
and veggies in bulk.  There are several online suppliers.  I also really
like the freezer bag cooking ideas from Sarah Kirkconnell.  You can find
her online too.

If you want more specifics like receipes and how-to just let me know.
Would be glad to send more.  Enjoy your planning!

Janet