[pct-l] Items for sale

Roland Horth roland at evolutionzdesign.com
Thu Jul 17 15:25:36 CDT 2008

Clearing out my closet of some nice hiking stuff:

McHale Alpine Pack ...almost new.  This is a serious alpine pack, big enough
to carry ropes and a week's worth of gear (it will handle 90 # comfortably),
but can also be compacted down by removing the bayonets to a summit assault
pack.  Includes all the bells and whistles of Dan's serious packs including
separate zipper for sleeping bag compartment, bayonet system for variable
pack sizing, slip shoulder harness, double buckle hip belt (most comfortable
in the world). Huge side pockets great for holding pickets.  Pack has done
Baker, Rainier, Adam, but not much else.  It's been collecting dust for a
while as I've been focused on long distance hikes.  Includes a full
silicon-nylon rain cover. Cost was almost $700 new.  Happy to part with it
for $200 just to see it get used again (and frankly 8 packs is just too much
for anyone). Note that this pack would fit someone with approximately 28-29"
from hipbone to 3rd vertebrae (a large medium or a small large). Waist size
of about 32, though this can be changed.

McHale custom sub-pop pack. This is a lightweight Mchale pack that I custom
designed with Dan.  Has two side pockets, a top pouch and also a silcoat
nylon top cover when you don't need the top pouch. Weight is just at 3# and
carries 40# comfortably, has trademark double buckle hipbelt. Pack has hiked
the length of the Pyrenees and traveled around the world once, though still
looks amzingly good. Cost was over $300 new, but again, just one too many
packs in my life...$150. Note that this pack would fit someone with
approximately 28-29" from hipbone to 3rd vertebrae (a large medium or a
small large)

Henry Shires Contrail Tarptent http://www.tarptent.com/contrail.html.  1.5
pounds for a very roomy one person (almost two person) three season tent.
Full bug protection.  This tent did the entire Pacific Crest Trail, but I
own 2 other tents of his (and three other winter tents).  Bought new at $200
last year, still looks like new.  $100 (does not include optional pole...so
need to use a hiking pole or buy Henry's optional front pole.

Granite Gear Vapor Trail.  Used this for the first half of my PCT hike last
year...still in great shape.  Just over 2#.  Size Medium. Retails for $160,
sell for $50.

Grivel Air Tech Racing Ice Axe. 74cm length.  Super light weight and really
strong, used only for shoulder season trips and no arrests.

Shipping is extra on all these, buyer to pay actual costs.  Happy to answer
questions. All this is located in Seattle. As the Mchale packs are custom
size, will allow for returns if they just don't fit.