[pct-l] Hiking alone?

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Tue Jul 15 16:39:31 CDT 2008

Pea,

I respect your comments, though I would disagree to a certain extent.  I feel that if solo hiking is one's goal this can still be accomplished.  In 2006 I was able to walk the second half of the trail from Old Station to Manning, virtually alone.  That was my desire and goal as I wanted to experience this solitude and challenge myself.  I ran into a few thru-hikers periodically but from Crater Lake north, I crossed paths with only 3 other thru-hikers.

Staying motivated is not all that difficult in my opinion.  I think this is really of factor of one's individual goals.  If one's goals are not clear or the goals change during a hike, I think motivation could be a problem, however, if one's primary goal is to complete a thru-hike of the PCT, the motivation is not difficult.

Just a different view to share.

Elevator
From: Pea Hicks <phix at optigan.com>