[pct-l] OR-PCT

Dr. Margarete Hochhut hochhut at web.de
Mon Jul 7 13:48:48 CDT 2008

 Hi,

I am just back from a hiking attempt OR Section D1,3,4. Start HWY 138 north Crater Lake, down over Maidu Lake and Miller Lake to Chemult.

The higher elevetions of Mt. Thielsen wilderniss, from about 7100 feet on, are still completly snow covered. Camp at Thielsen creek, 6930 feetsome snow free patches. Later on a good stretch snow free, good walking. A good way before reaching Pumice Flat again closed snow cover for a long time. Withourt GPS I would not have done it. After rounding the flank of Tipsoo Peak I lost the new PCT and bushwhacked my way along the old one that went once directly to Maidu Lake. Billiotrillions Mosquitos around everywhere.The old PCT route was not visible anymore but was shown on my GPS map. So I did it eventuelly. I could not do more than 1,5 miles an hour. I marked streches with white tape on the trees. Mosquites made the air black. I used a new Deet Layer almost every hour. Despite headnet they managed to bite me near the eyes. They swoll and I hardly could manage to open them. I was very, very, I mean VERY happy getting out of there and back to Chemult.

Fortunately a friend from Portland came and picked me up. I was never ever so exhausted in my life, honestly. Especially the Mossies I could not bearl. One bite is infected and I hope it will work out well.

Anyway, the snow was melting fast and I am sure, in a week or so, it is possible to walk that stretch. I walked a little bit up the PCT from the PCT-Maidu Lake junction. That part looked really good. Snow free. But I felt to exhausted to go on, had not enough water, though.

I wish my followers better luck and more fun on the mentioned stretch

Rita, Frankfurt, Germany

WEB.DE schenkt Ihnen jeden Monat einen hochkarätigen Blockbuster
von maxdome! Jetzt anmelden unter *http://www.blockbuster.web.de* [http://www.blockbuster.web.de]