[pct-l] Section N reports

Georgi Heitman bobbnweav at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 16:52:14 CDT 2008

Seems like there are sooo many questions re the fire/smoke status from
points south of Old Station to points north of us, seems like it's not
getting better anytime soon.

 Here's what I know:   more and more folks are hitching around the burny
parts.....the Brattens say that the fire is roughly a mile north of their
place, slowly moving in a northerly direction, thank you, thank you...at the
moment....that it's easier to get a hitch from Sierra City than from the
Quincy/LaPorte Rd....that Jim Duffy, motorhome parked next to the church in
S.C. can show you where to sleep so no sprinklers hit you in the middle of
the night should you need a place to camp....that Hwy 36 out of Chester to
beyond Burney Falls St. Pk. is open....Drakesbad and the Heitman's Hideaway
(24 miles apart) welcome all and sundry with open arms....the Old Station
Highlands 8th Annual Tractor, Old Car, Horse and Anything Else Goes Fourth
of July Parade kicks off at 2:00 Friday afternoon, followed by a potluck
that hikers are very welcomed and in fact, encouraged to attend....that July
5th in Old Station brings the OSVFD fund-raiser, a strawberry shortcake/ice
cream feed, a feast to die for....that all Rim water caches and sources are
up and (running) full....that T. Storms are predicted for Thursday (check
www.NOAA.gov <http://www.noaa.gov/>) and type in Old Station, CA or the
city/town of your choice.....that fire updates are best found at
www.inciweb.org  ....that there are fires near both Happy Camp and Etna, tho
how close to the trail, I do not know and that I'm getting busier and busier
daily and less and less likely to be able to send many individualized
answers to questions.  I WILL try to post here any really new and
exciting/terrifying info as soon as I get it.
Please help yourselves as best you can.  If your need for answers is truly
specific in nature, I'll, of course, do my best to answer.
Hike Safely,
FireFly