[pct-l] Transfering Aerial Photos and Maps to a GPS

Ken Powers kdpo at pacbell.net
Wed Jan 30 19:05:45 CST 2008

Marcia said the hiker with the PCT drawn on the base map was Mr Parkay. I got the second hand description of his map. He drew the PCT as a line on the base map and created his own basemap which he could then load back into the GPS. The PCT was just a (red?) line on the map and contained no waypoint information. Lon's approach has the benefit of waypoint information. I have worked on uploading "tracks" or "traces" onto the Garmin 60csx. The problem is the amount of points that must be loaded to describe the curvy trail. It seems to work fine for shorter trails, but 2700 miles just overloads current GPS's.

Ken