[pct-l] Transfering Aerial Photos and Maps to a GPS

Lon Cooper loncooper at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 18:26:08 CST 2008

Strider,

I don't think that can easily be done at least not in any way that is
officially supported by Garmin.

What I did last year was convert tracks of the PCT into waypoints
every half mile along the trail. This can be done with the filter
command in Garmin Mapsource and GPS Bable.  I then loaded the
waypoints into my 60CSx as custom POI's. You can load essentially an
unlimited number of POI's into the 60Csx so you are not limited to
1,000 as you are with waypoints. This worked very well for me. Using
this approach you can tell at a  glance where you are on the trail. It
has the added benefit of allowing you to easily judge distance. If you
want to hike a 20 miles, you just hike 40 half miles. Another benefit,
is that assuming your tracks are accurate your half mile POIs will be
accurate too. It is not easy to find maps that accurately show the
location of the PCT especially any of the digital mapping products I
have looked at.

I will be interested in hearing what you work out.

-Lon
AKA Halfmile