[pct-l] Headlamp picks/pans

Brian Lewis brianle at nwlink.com
Wed Jan 30 16:42:08 CST 2008

I too like the Petzl e+lite, just about exactly 1.0 oz once you lose the
useless case that's included.

As multiple people have posted previously (maybe on another forum, don't
remember), buy your replacement batteries for these online, in bulk (I just
bought 20 of them for $15.60, perhaps better prices are available, but in
that ballpark).  These batteries have a long shelf life, and are much much
cheaper that way rather than buying locally.

I reckon I'll keep a few in my bounce box, plus mail a replacement pair
along with every Nth food resupply package.

I think that the right headlamp is going to vary in part based on whether
you anticipate doing any significant night hiking (without a lot of
moonlight).   I particularly like having the red light option on the e+lite,
as it's a way to preserve night vision, so long as you're not trying to read
red/brown contour lines on a map ...   I read somewhere recently that the
red light can sometimes work better in foggy night conditions too, FWIW.

The one downside for me with this light is that it takes a battery that I
don't need for any other device.  Ideally I'd standardize on a single
battery type.  There does exist a headlamp that takes a single AAA battery
that I'm somewhat interested in (my MP3 player takes a single AAA), but the
little disc batteries that the e+lite uses are very light --- 7 grams for a
pair vs. 11 grams for a single AAA battery --- so I'll probably stick with
the e+lite.

	Brian Lewis