[pct-l] re backpack conundrum

mark v allemande6 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 30 00:53:42 CST 2008

>From my experience with a wonderful trusty, heavy
Kelty on some weeklong trips, and then with a couple
different UL packs, here is my hierarchy:

GOOD:  your heavy pack with the suspension you like.
BETTER:  an ultralight that you've tried out, has
enough support, and feels good.
WORST:  an ultralight that you haven't really tried
out on a long hike, and feels awful.

That may sound obvious, but my point is not all
ultralight will make your pack feel better.  Sometimes
3 extra pounds will make the pack FEEL lighter.
However, in the end, my ULA Catalyst feels better than
everything else i've tried...just find what's right
for you.