[pct-l] A backpack conundrum

minnjohn1 at aol.com minnjohn1 at aol.com
Tue Jan 29 21:18:14 CST 2008

I can't believe you got only one response to your inquiry. Every hiker has an opinion on what works and what doesn't. You can get opinions from the ultra-light to ... whatever. Any way, I'll give my feedback. I also have a Gregory Whitney. It weighs 7lbs and I love it. I like the suspension, all the pockets, its sturdiness, the hipbelt, and all the room.? I easily fit my BearVault canister into it. And - I would love to take it on my thru-hike. But I'm not.

If I thought I could easily carry - it, my gear, food, and all the water I'll need in the desert or wherever - then I wouldn't hesitate. But I'm sure I can't EASILY and ENJOYABLY carry all that weight. I'm just not strong enough.

So Joel, can you easily carry 40-55 lbs? Be truthful with yourself - are you strong enough? If so, then go with the Gregory.?It?will definitely last the whole adventure. Its a great pack. And, you already have it and don't have to shell out more money. But if you know you are going to be struggling, then get a lighter pack. If you are not an ultra-light or even a light hiker, then go for something the weighs around 3-4lbs. There are some packs in that weight range that will handle 40-55lbs..

Good luck.
John.