[pct-l] Hiking in 2008: rain gear, pacerpoles and Roper's High Route, Food

evan battaglia gtoevan at gmx.net
Wed Jan 23 23:21:21 CST 2008

> I love eating and cooking, especially while backpacking. I'm trying to
> find a way of doing some "simmering" using an alcohol stove, any
> specific design that works better? I am thinking about ways to still
> manage to cook grains that take 5 mins of simmer / rest in hot water /
> final 5 mins of simmer.
I met a guy on the AT who brought two pop can alcohol stoves: one for boiling and one for simmering. The simmering one had less holes I believe and thus put out less heat. He said the "simmer rings" for other alcohol stoves don't really work so at 0.2 oz or whatever a coke can stove weighs, why not bring another one.

Evan