[pct-l] cellphone

Home jeffreyn at sonic.net
Tue Jan 22 21:37:29 CST 2008

This link
http://www.instructables.com/id/Emergency-Signal-Boosting-Cellphone-Antenna/
may be of some value.  It describes a lightweight addition to cell phones
which can boost reception.

The key thing to understand is that cell phones work on UHF (ultra-high
frequency) radio channels, which travel only line of sight, unlike
shortwave (HF) or broadcast AM (MW) which have some refractive ability
(that is, they can bounce off the upper atmosphere back down to otherwise
isolated spots).  If the phone can't "see" the tower, there's no signal,
and no amount of enhanced antenna will make a bit of difference.  Example,
even an external antenna won't work if the phone is deep in a canyon and
there are no ridgetop antennas.  OTOH, if the phone is on a ridge top and
the antenna is waaaaaaaaay over there, this little boost might do the
trick.

I suppose we could lobby for cell antennas on every tall peak in the
Sierra.  .... nah, let's not.

For true emergencies, like running out of blood, consider a PLB (personal
locator beacon), works off satellites,
http://www.rei.com/product/751974
and variants.  If you use it because you're runing out of chocolate (I
know, I know, a major food group), be prepared for some wrath by SAR.

The PLB has a battery which with luck will never be used, but has a 5-year
shelf life.  The battery in a cell phone will need periodic charging, even
with no use.  How will you keep it charged?  A charger in your bounce
box?  A solar adapter?