[pct-l] Umbrellas

G. Lowe aka Wheeew gailpl2003 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 22 13:06:29 CST 2008

With all due respect, I believe it was Peter Jenkins that carried an umbrella on his "Walk Across America".....way before Jardine.

No one has ever been able to explain to me, why we're told, in cold weather, "you lose 1/3 of your body heat out the top of you head.  WEAR A HAT!!" and in the same breath, "Wear a hat to keep the heat off".  Wouldn't we want to let OUT that 1/3 body heat thru our head, in hot weather??  Not everyone likes hats.  I do not. I'm always hotter with one on than without.  An umbrella alleviates that problem.  If I don't like it, I'll send it home, like any other piece of gear I decide isn't a match for me.

Corn Pasta.  Absurd....to suggest that that product somehow is more sustaining on the trail that many other foods.  And what for those of us that do not cook on the trail?

I'd want proof that "most" of the heat/ radiation comes from the desert floor.    That seems unlikely.

Wheeew