[pct-l] Batteries for 2008 Campaign

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Mon Jan 21 16:17:36 CST 2008

I know you are a professional backpacker like me.  Here are some  things for
you to get ready for the upcoming expeditions.

1.  Buy a battery analyzer to check all your batteries before you hit  the
trail.  I got mine at Radio Shack years ago.  Very nice and  inexpensive.
Forgetting and using old batteries on the trail is not  smart.

2.  Use only lithium batteries.  They are lighter than  alkaline.  Here are
some weights:

     2 AAA alkaline = 23 grams or .8 ounces
     2 AAA lithium = 16 grams or .5 ounces
     2 AA alkaline = 47 grams or 1.6 ounces
     2 AA lithium = 29 grams or 1.0 ounces

3.  Carry your batteries outside of your devices until you need  them.  The
first time I need my radio or Kestrel 4000 weather device on the  trail is when
I put the batteries in it.  This way they don't sit in them  and maybe leak
or get funky.  I also have two extra round batteries  for my Petzl C+Lite
headlamp (.9 ounces with batteries).  I also carry a  Photon light on my neck cord.

By the way, if you use the Petzl C+Lite, do not forget to throw a penny in
you battery bag to help unscrew the lid to replace batteries.  I keep the
round batteries in the Petzl all the time.

Your pal, Switchback the Charger
Pirate's Lair - Home of Stinky the Jack Daniel's  Skunk