[pct-l] Oregon PCT Names

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Mon Jan 21 08:08:28 CST 2008

Good morning, Wayne,

It's interesting to learn how Pamelia Lake received that somewhat unusual
name.  When I moved to the Salem area in '66 I began regularly hiking in
what was then designated the Mt. Jefferson Primitive Area, and the Pamelia
Lake Trailhead was one of its most popular access points off Hwy. 22, the
Santiam Pass.  There was a gentle 2-mile trail up Pamelia Creek to the lake,
and that easy access made the lake quite popular.  That popularity also made
the camping areas around the lake rather shabby.

At that time there was no such thing as the PCT but one of its progenitors,
the Oregon Skyline Trail, did go through Hunt's Cove then north immediately
past Pamelia Lake on its way to the Milk Creek crossing.  Through traffic on
the Skyline Trail contributed to the over-use at Pamelia Lake.  In all these
many years, I've never camped right at Pamelia Lake.  I just passed by on my
way to somewhere more remote.

Subsequently, a new section of PCT was built which bypasses east of Hunt's
Cove and Pamelia Lake about 1,000 ft. further up the flank of Mt. Jefferson.
It passes just below Cathedral Rocks and through an alpine lakes area
containing Shale and Coyote Lakes before continuing through heavy forest
cover to Milk Creek.  Overall, I think this new arrangement is much more
satisfactory.

Steel-Eye

^^^^^^^^^^  Join other hikers at:  http://www.aldhawest.org/  ^^^^^^^^^^