[pct-l] Trail Journals- Donna's post

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Sun Jan 20 17:46:30 CST 2008

Actually, my post should not be confined to writing about others in Trail
Journals, but also email postings on the PCT-L and elsewhere.  It is exactly
because you (and others) are watching what the hikers are doing that I wrote
that.  If your friends want you to know where they are, they'll let you
know.  If they're not letting you know, well, that should be sending you a
message.

If someone is keeping a journal, that's one thing -- they want to share
they're doing with everyone and anyone. Great, go for it, spill your guts,
knock yourself out writing about YOUR journey.  But if someone is not
keeping a journal, and many are not, where they are and what they are doing
is not anyone's business.

I believe very strongly that the hikers who want it deserve their privacy,
and they are not hiking for anyone's entertainment.  Besides, I know it has
caused problems for some hikers, like people they didn't even know waiting
for them at trail crossings, hiking in to meet them, and leaving things the
hiker didn't want (but then became responsible for).

I don't know where along the line thru-hiking became a spectator sport
complete with groupies, but I'm pretty certain that a fair number of the
participants would be appalled to know their whereabouts were being tracked
by strangers and/or reported on by people they pass along the way.

L-Rod