[pct-l] Alison

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Sun Jan 20 14:12:32 CST 2008

Donna,

Well said my friend.  While we all belong to this list-serve "family", we don't always agree with one another and it is fair that we all have the opportunity to share our thoughts on this beloved trail.

With regards to journaling, for me I had originally decided to maintain a journal so that my family and friends would have the opportunity to follow along, yet I had no idea that these journals were followed by so many until I was out on the trail.  On at least three different occasions I "ran into" strangers  that came out on trail in hopes of meeting me and sharing a bit of trail magic in the most out of the way places.

To the fellows that drove nearly 200 miles in hopes of running into me north of Beldon, I salute you.  That ice-cold gatorade was incredible!

As I reached Oregon, I had passing thoughts of putting my this labor of love on hold as it consumed 1-2 hours of my hiking day, however, just north of Shelter Cove, I passed a couple of southbound section hikers and as we introduced ourselves, they shared that it was not necessary as they had recognized me from my journals and shared that they looked forward to my daily updates.  That was enough motivation for me.  If I could in some way share this incredible journey with others that were not fortunate enough to be at a place in life to take a thru-hike, this was the least I could do.

Additionally, I never realized just how often I would refer back to my journal in the years following.  As I was recovering from brain surgery this past summer, I found comfort and motivation in reading my journal and those of my classmates.

I realize that some folks may feel a concern with keeping journals up-to-date, in real-tiime (as much as the trail allows anyhow), but for me it enabled me to meet people that I would never have met.  I still recall fondly, a gentleman living near Tacoma, that posted to my guest book that he would like to drive up and meet me in either Snoqualmie or Skykomish.  When I reached the Dinsmores, I made a quick phone call and this fellow drove a couple of hours up the hill and took me out to lunch to talk trail.  I only hope that in some small way I was able to plant the seed that a thru-hike was within his means as well.

Allison, I like your style and look forward to reading your account of the trail.  Walk On.

Elevator

From: "Donna Saufley" <dsaufley at sprynet.com>

Allison,

You are as entitled to share your opinion as everyone else is in responding to it.  No apology is owed (unless I missed something and you made a personal attack on someone).  My own opinions aside, I’ll defend your right to write your thoughts, as long as they stay within the fair boundaries of this list post.  If others don’t like what you say, well, welcome to the club – you’re in good company.

L-Rod