[pct-l] aluminum vs steel ice axe head

Sean Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Tue Jan 15 13:38:15 CST 2008

Steel-Eye,

That answers a suspicion I had about those aluminum axes.  I own a Camp XLA210 aluminum axe and while I've think it is fine for self arresting in the spring, I have been suspicious of how it would hold up if one had to do a lot of cutting steps.  Since you saw how it broke, do you think this camp hybrid axe would have broken also?  http://www.prolitegear.com/camp_corsa_nanotech.html

If it was just the edge, then I would think this one would have been fine, but if it broke closer to the handle then this one is a waste also.

-Sean

...While trail hiking I don’t believe I need a sturdy alpine-qualified axe so I got an 9.4 oz. aluminum Cassin Ghost to which I’ve added a wrist strap and a slip-resistant surface on the lower handle.  I didn’t carry it in the Sierras, but a hiking companion had an ultra-lite Camp, which he used to chop ice off rocks on the back side of Mather Pass, and the adz blades broke off.  http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=188368

Steel-Eye