[pct-l] safety on the trail

Lon Cooper loncooper at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 16:47:09 CST 2008

Brick, If your numbers are accurate, that is a pretty high rate of
death for thru hikers. About a 1 in 1,100 chance, assuming 500 hikers
a year, over 11 years and 5 deaths.

If the statistics here are accurate:

http://www.nsc.org/lrs/statinfo/odds.htm

You had a 1 in 6,535 chance of dying in a motor vehicle accident in
the year 2004. Making thru hiking the PCT is about 6 times more deadly
than driving or riding in a motor vehicle.

But your point is well taken, that none of these were caused by bad
guys (or bad animals) on the trail.

-Lon