[pct-l] Nalgene Bottles and Bisphenol-A

Brick Robbins brick at fastpack.com
Sun Jan 13 21:09:19 CST 2008

For those of you worried about such things the Lexan (Polycarbonate)
versions of the ever popular Nalgene bottles leach an estrogenic
chemical called Bisphenol-A.

Do a google search on Polycarbonate and Bisphenol-A to get lots of info.

The basic gist is that this chemical mimics sex hormones and may cause
various problems. The bottles leach most of the chemical when
heated,or banged around, causing micro cracks.

>From all I've read, PolyProplyne bottles are probably the safest (I
still wear it too...), thought I often use PTFE (the common bottle
water comes in) just out of convienence.

Lots of other things are probably more of a threat out on the trail,
but swiching away from polycarbonate bottles is pretty easy to do.
--
Brick Robbins
brick at fastpack.com