[pct-l] Sir Edmund Hillary

Bob BobandShell97 at verizon.net
Fri Jan 11 08:12:37 CST 2008

I suspect Sir Edmund’s passing is more poignant for those of us who were just starting our outdoor adventures when he actually summited Everest.  He instantly became an idol for all young hikers, climbers and backpackers who daydreamed during classes, translating their own mountain adventures into miniature Everests.   For years, I saved the Washington Post edition with the story and pictures of his Everest conquest.   Requiescat in pace, Sir Edmund… and thank you.

Dr Bob

AIt is not the mountains we conquer but ourselves.@   Sir Edmund Hillary

AI can say, from my point of view, it=s basically the challenge between the individual and the mountain, and between the individual and himself. I think everyone is battling against a mountain like Everest. Mountains offer danger and this is a stimulating factor, almost forces you to overcome these feelings and carry on. And if you can do this - persist - and overcome it and get to the top, you get a great feeling of satisfaction.@    -    Sir Edmund Hillary, interview, The Washington Post   1/2/84

“ I believe if you start out on an adventure and you’re absolutely sure you’re going to be successful, why even start?”   -   Sir Edmund Hillary