[pct-l] How flat is So Cal? (hiking poles)

frankgilliland at comcast.net frankgilliland at comcast.net
Thu Jan 10 10:23:41 CST 2008

Disclaimer:  I LOVE to use poles.

That said, I would not walk a foot with out my poles.  Especially in
southern California.  SOCAL is not all Flat.  Day one from the border is
just full of ups and downs and even a stream crossing.

And check out the elevation gain on day two.  You might even see snow on day
two or three.

Now for the number one reason I would not leave home with out my poles in
SOCAL:  Snakes.  I have lived around rattle snakes for years. I feel very
comfortable with interacting and moving them off trail with my poles.  I do
this as a courtesy to those behind me.  The best advise is to just leave
them alone.  Several folks including myself have had to use poles to
redirect them when the little buggers just got to close.

Poles on several occasions have saved me from injury and on a couple of
memorable spots, probably saved my life.  So I treat poles the same way I
treat wearing seat belts.  On average I will not need either.  But, when I
need them........

I use poles to hold down my ground sheet on the sides when it is windy.

I use poles to help with stretching.

I use poles to dig my cat hole.

I use poles when I use a tarp.

I could go on and on.  For me poles make me into a four legged animal.  On
my thru hike I wore down 2 pairs of tips, two sets of poles and I broke 3
tips and one lower section.  Poles are my 11th essential.

StarMan