[pct-l] Cuben Packs

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Wed Jan 9 16:57:54 CST 2008

I've got 1800 or so miles on my Golite Gust, essentially a big sack at
21 oz, and while I never carried two gallons of water, I have carried 35
pounds of which 11-15 pounds was base weight.  To be honest, the
greatest drag about carrying 35 pounds was lifting it to my back.  I got
used to the weight, and 90% of it was on my waist.   I think Golite
replaced the Gust with something called the Pinnacle...

I think it depends on the kind of pack and the packing system you use.
I have been loathe to use one of the smaller packs that use a z rest for
the frame.  I have one, and bring it out every year to see if I'm ready
to use it.  But ultimately I just don't see how you can get the weight
off your shoulders with this system.

With big sack pack, you roll up the sleeping pad - mine is full-length
blue foam because I use a quilt and don't like to depend on clothes I
might be wearing or the pack itself to insulate my lower legs and feet -
and put all your gear inside the rolled up blue foam pad.  I put the
heavy stuff in first and stuff clothes around to tighten the whole thing
up.  The sleeping bag goes on top, unstuffed, in its own garbage bag.
Conventional wisdom is put the heavy stuff on top - DON'T!!!

The key is packing everything but the sleeping bag tightly, regardless
of where the weight is.  The 20" wide foam pad forms a really stiff
cylinder between waist and shoulder pad attachment points.  You
shouldn't try and wear the pack on your hips.  In my experience the
"waist"band goes about bellybutton high.  This works even for people,
like me nowadays, with big bellies...

Of course this is but one approach to the dilemma of using a frameless
pack and an almost ultralight system...

Jeff, just Jeff...