[pct-l] Buyers remorse?

cvano at tmail.com cvano at tmail.com
Sun Jan 6 09:34:09 CST 2008

No, I don't think so. The new bag that I purchased is rated at 15
degrees. This of course is derived from an 'average' sleeper in lab
conditions. YMMV. I also tried a 20 degree bag that was $20 cheaper with
the same fill but almost a pound heaver! What's up with that?

My last bag was a 0 degree down bag and 10 years old. I was almost
always too warm except on the last trip where it and I were both wet. On
looking seriously at new bags, I realised it had lost more than half its
loft over the years as well. It also weighed around 4 pounds.

Granted, this wet, survival, and rescue senerio will hopefully only
happen to me once in this lifetime. Lesson fresh in mind, however, I
wanted a synthetic bag. Two weeks ago, a sales associate tried to sell
me a heavier (almost a pound) and more expensive ($100 more) bag,
extorting the superior qualities of a triangular shaped fill, but still
rated at the same temperature. A fill fiber was sticking out of the bag,
so I pulled it out to examine it. I couldn't discern any differance in
that fill and the fill in the Zephyr or other bags.

My purchase criteria, in order, was: synthetic, roomy (able to zip, and
I'm an active sleeper - I need room to move around) price, weight,
features and aesthetics. Hey, I gotta look good while stealth camping in
a tent 30 miles from the nearest human! Why is that? Does anybody else
ever feel this way?

I like the pillow flap, a 'must have' for me and both had it, but the
rubberized dots on the zipper pull of the Zephyer was a small touch that
I felt I couldn't live without. This small insignificance may have been
one of the final deciding factors! I needed a long ($10 more) in the
cheaper, heavier bag, but a regular ($10 less) in the one I got.

So why is it, given two bags with the same fill, rated at the same temp,
the heavier bag both wieghed and cost more? The Kilo is down filled and
6 oz lighter, but more than twice the price. It was not right for me at
this time. As a matter of fact there is about a $200 price spread in
similarly rated bags with the same fill and features.

Buying a sleeping bag is sort of like buying shoes. You try them on and
walk around on carpet for a couple of minutes while feeling self
conscious. Wearing them all day is sometimes quite another matter.
Notwithstanding, I made my purchace based on the afore mentioned
criteria and used the bag last night. I was warm and comfortable and am
not considering returning it. I just wonder what I may be missing for
twice the price and a few ounces less.

It's not the Mountain that we conquer,
but Ourselves.  Anon.

Ol' Three Toes aka Chris