[pct-l] Pocketmail changing business model

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Thu Jan 3 11:17:25 CST 2008

On Dec 30, 2007, at 10:29 AM, AsABat wrote:

> Curious how T-mobile coverage is on the trail. Most find access to
> cell
> sites limited in the backcountry. Verizon and AT&T seem to have better
> coverage, but in the Sierra it's all very limited. If you use a cell,
> another option would be a Blackberry.

At least in comparison to a PocketMail, the question is more about
the coverage in trail towns.  I'm guessing it is better now than it
was four years ago when I decided to use PocketMail.

PocketMail always had these advantages over smart-cell phones:
    -- long battery life
    -- easily replaceable batteries
    -- no need to turn-on the display, use with headlamp
    -- works with any regular phone
    -- unlimited use (1-800-access)

I think the only thing that has changed on that list is that cell
phone coverage has probably improved in rural areas along the trail.
On the other points, the PocketMail device still wins I think.  On
smart-phones the data/internet/email/texting services have become
more affordable, but you have to be very careful to purchase the plan
that matches your usage patterns.

I'm actually amazed that PocketMail has been able to survive in its
market niche for so long.

Radar